On Thursday, February 11, 2016, our President and CEO Kathy Brown was among the leaders participating in the celebration of the UN’s International Day of Women & Girls in Science at the United Nations Headquarters in New York. You can watch live starting at 10:00am US Eastern (UTC-5) at a link available from:
As shown in the event program, Kathy spoke in the second block of speakers from 11:40 – 13:00. The block is titled “Policy Imperatives for Women and Girls in Science” and includes the following participants:
- Opening Remarks by Chair: Ms. Daniela Bas, Director of Division of Social Policy and Development, Department of Economic and Social Affairs,
- H.E. Ms. Veronika Skvortsova, Minister of Health, Russian Federation
- Hon. Mr. Michael Browne, Minister of Education, Science and Technology, Antigua and Barbuda
- Ms. Kathryn Brown, President and CEO, Internet Society
- Ms. Jacqueline McGlade, Chief Scientist, Director, Division of Early Warning and Assessment, United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) – Video Message
- Hon. Mr. Samy Gemayel MP, Lebanon
- Deputy Permanent Representative of Tunisia to the UN, H.E. Mr. M. Riadh Ben Sliman
- Professor William Best, Professor of Practice Electrical and Computer Engineering and co-Director of Lehigh’s innovative IDEAS, Lehigh University, USA
- Vinicius Pinheiro, Director and Special Representative of the International Labour Organization Liaison Office to the United Nations
- Youth Remarks: Elena Martin and Sonja Gorman, Lehigh University, USA
We are pleased that Kathy received this opportunity to speak as it fits in well with our overall efforts to shine more light on the amazing work women are doing in technology.
Please help spread the word on social networks and through whatever other methods make sense. On social networks, the use of the hashtag #dayofwomeninscience is being encouraged (ex. on Twitter and on Facebook). You can also find out more information at WomenInScienceDay.org.