The role people play in our community is vital for an open and trustworthy Internet for everyone. We know that without the knowledge, experience, and contributions of our members the Internet Society wouldn’t be complete.
Chapters Leaders Training in Latin America and the Caribbean
The Chapters of the Latin American and Caribbean (LAC) region have come together to implement a training program that allows members to work with their local Chapter, contributing to the four focus areas of the Internet Society’s Action Plan 2019. The first LAC Capacity Building Program for Chapters was successfully launched last week, with the participation of 182 people out of almost 1000 applicants.
This initiative started at the beginning of the year as a result of a working session held with LAC Chapters leaders. During the session, it was determined that capacity building was an important leverage point for Chapter development and it would be a tool to achieve the Chapters’ local goals during 2019. In the process, three important phases were defined for the program:
- Capacity Building: Training in our different focus areas
- Community engagement: Allocation of trained members in Chapters to support local initiatives
- 2020-2025 Planning: LAC Chapters Workshop to define LAC Community engagement focus for the next few years
Due to the outstanding response from our community, we decided to provide an alternative for the people who were not selected for the Capacity Building Program. We are coordinating a Community Week, during which we will offer different virtual sessions on several topics related to our focus areas. This virtual Community Week will place from 10 to 14 June, with Zoom sessions offered in Spanish and English:
Monday, 10 June
- 16:00 UTC – Consolidation, Carl Gahnberg
- 18:00 UTC – Open House, Nancy Quirós and Israel Rosas (Spanish)
- 23:00 UTC – Open House, Nancy Quirós and Israel Rosas
Tuesday, 11 June
- 16:00 UTC – Internet Regulation, Konstantinos Komaitis
- 18:00 UTC – Encryption, Ryan Polk
Wednesday, 12 June
- 16:00 UTC – MANRS, Christian O’Flaherty (Spanish)
Thursday, 13 June
- 16:00 UTC – Community Networks, Sebastián Bellagamba (Spanish)
- 18:00 UTC – 2025 Strategy: Virtual Roundtable, Toral Cowieson
- 20:00 UTC – Community Networks, Sebastián Bellagamba
- 23:00 UTC – Cybersecurity, Leonardo Huertas (Spanish)
Friday, 14 June
- 15:00 UTC – IoT and public policy, Shernon Osepa (Spanish)
No registration required! To attend any of the sessions, just click on this link. Don’t miss the opportunity to share your ideas and exchange opinions with other members of the community.
We are thousands of members working to build an Internet for
everyone, everywhere. Become a member!