Applications are now closed.
The primary objective of the Inter-American Telecommunication Commission (CITEL) Coordination Center for the Development of Human Resources, along with CITEL’s Secretariat, is to strengthen CITEL’s efforts regarding scholarships and training courses of interest to CITEL/OAS member states.
Based on CITEL’s schedule of courses for 2020 (COM/CITEL/RES. 306 (XXXV-19)) and thanks to the 150 scholarships generously offered by the Internet Society (ISOC) once again this year as a continuation of its commitment to the 2030 ICT Alliance for the Americas, in accordance with the objective of “promoting open development, evolution and use of the Internet for the benefit of all people around the world,” the Internet Society and CITEL announced the call for applications to participate in the course/scholarship “Building Wireless Community Networks,” to be held online from 14 September to 25 October 2020.
The course consists of training community members in wireless technology and Wi-Fi equipment that uses unlicensed spectrum bands of 2.4 and 5.8 GHz. The goal is to create wireless networks that belong to and are operated by the community, which would then allow community not only to implement and manage these networks, but also to enable the transfer of knowledge.
- To acquire basic concepts and knowledge of how to develop wireless community networks.
- To get familiar with experiences that enable the student to obtain references for the efficient design of wireless community networks.
- To acquire the necessary know-how to design a plan for the implementation of wireless community networks.
- To transfer their knowledge on wireless networks to other members of the community.
- OAS member states
- CITEL associate members
- Telecommunication and/or ICT ministries and secretariats of OAS member states
- Regulatory bodies for the telecommunication/ICT sector of OAS member states
- Regional organizations
- Telecommunication/ICT professionals and technicians
- Civil society, and
- Other interested communities.
- A citizen or permanent resident of any OAS member state.
Dates, location, and course type
The course will be taught online from September 14 to October 25, 2020 (6 weeks). It will be held in Spanish and English, with a course load of 8 hours a week.
There is a total of 150 scholarships being granted (100 scholarships to Spanish-speaking participants and 50 to English-speaking participants).
Benefits of the scholarship
- Registration and fees: 100% coverage
- Study materials
- Certificate issued by Internet Society/CITEL-OAS
Scholarship key information
|Course mode:||Distance learning course (online)|
|Course dates:||14 September to 25 October 2020|
|Instruction language:||Spanish and English|
|Benefits:||100% coverage of the course registration and fees|
Certificate issued by Internet Society/CITEL-OAS.
|Number of scholarships to be granted:||150 full scholarships|
(100 to Spanish-speaking participants and 50 to English-speaking participants)
|Registration deadline:||Friday, 28 August 2020 (23:59 EST, Washington, D.C.)|
Application and selection process
- Complete and send this application form online by 28 August 2020.
- The selection of participants for the course/scholarship will be made on a “first come, first serve” basis.
- CITEL/Internet Society will only contact those persons appearing on the list and they must officially acknowledge the scholarship by confirming their acceptance via e-mail. If, for any reason, confirmation has not been received before the course begins or if a selected participant is unable to attend the course, the scholarship will be given to the next person on the list of those who are eligible.
- The participant must complete a course satisfaction questionnaire that will be provided at the end of the program.
Announcement of the results
For further information about this course, please contact:
- Internet Society: Diego Canabarro (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Alejandra Prieto (email@example.com)
- CITEL: María Celeste Fuenmayor (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Note: The General Secretariat of the Organization of American States (SG / OAS) reserves the right to cancel this scholarship announcement at any time during the process. The OAS, SG / OAS, CITEL, and ISOC and their staff will not be responsible for any action that results from the information in this announcement.