Our Sites use third parties for web analytics services to collect technical information so that we can understand how visitors interact with our sites – and how we can improve the experience for visitors. These third party services do use or may use “cookies” or similar technologies, which are text files placed on your computer, to help analyze how you use a Site. The information generated by the cookie about your use of a Site (including your IP address) will be transmitted to and stored by these service providers servers, which may be located in the United States or other regions. They will use this information for the purpose of evaluating your use of a Site, compiling reports on website activity for website operators and providing other services relating to website activity and Internet usage. They may also transfer this information to third parties where required to do so by law, or where such third parties process the information on their behalf.
Q: The Internet Society Privacy Statement says that the Internet Society allows the collection of some Technical Information of both Visitors and Members who use the Sites. What third parties does the Internet Society use for this data collection?
A: Our current services and/or vendors are:
- Google Analytics – our primary source for website analytics
- Google Tag Manager – the mechanism we use for sending information into Google Analytics
- Google Custom Search Engine (CSE) – the tool we use when people search across our sites
- New Relic – a service that helps us understand the performance of our site so that we can improve the speed of delivering content
- WordPress Stats – a secondary statistics service attached to our content management system, WordPress.
PLEASE NOTE: If a page contains embedded content from another site, such as YouTube or Twitter, there may be additional data collected by those services. We strive to embed that content using the most private mechanism provided by the service, but in some cases data is still collected by the service.
Q: How can I block the usage of cookies on Internet Society Sites?
There are multiple ways that you can disable / block the cookies we use on our sites.
- Disable cookies in your browser:
- Install a browser add-on/extension that monitors and blocks cookies :
- Install a browser add-on that opts you out of tracking:
- Google provides a Google Analytics Opt-Out Add-on for multiple browsers
Please note again that blocking all cookies may impact your overall user experience on some websites. You should not experience any issues interacting with our Internet Society sites, but these browser settings are typically configured to affect all web sites.